With the holidays fast approaching, Facebook has some posting advice for businesses.
Facebook offers seven tips for promotion, not surprisingly touting its money-making "boost" feature as the most important. But there are other options too.
Facebook Promotion Tips
- Boost important posts to reach more people and new audiences. You set the amount you want to spend to promote your post, and Facebook does the rest.
- Offer exclusive discounts and promotions, which Facebook naturally thinks you ought to boost.
- Connect with images. The New Big Blue recommends high-quality photos of products or “lifestyle images of people interacting with them.” Keep descriptions short with calls to action.
- Keep posts relevant and updated. Especially this time of year, when Halloween quickly gives way to Thanksgiving and so forth, and messages can go stale quick.
- Be consistent. Consistency tells your audience what to expect from you. Don't sacrifice quality for frequency—posting more often will not help if the content is poor.
- Target posts. Try posting with specific types of audience in mind. Facebook lets you do this when you click the “Settings” tab at the top of a business page, then turn on targeting & privacy control for posting. This gives you options each time you post to the page, such as gender, age, language and location targeting.
- Check your metrics. Facebook offers post performance metrics—click the “Insights” tab at the top to dive in.
I found this useful and enlightening (especially the targeting feature, which I was not aware of). Hope you do, too. Oh, and in case we don't see you next week—Happy Thanksgiving from 4x3!